Thursday, August 24, 2017

Summer is for Reading!


And boy have I read...and read...and READ!!
I have been a total book geek this summer!  And I'm not going to lie...I LOVE IT!

 I joined my library's summer reading program, my library's Advanced Reader's Club and have been going to a library program called Novel Brews at a local cheese shop/eatery that I love, since June. My library pretty much rocks!

I think I have to preface this by saying, I have never read this much in my life!  BUT some of these books I listened to, and I think that helped me up my Summer Reading total. Listening to books is pretty much the perfect thing to do while laying out...I go with it.

I am going to attempt to share my thoughts on the books I've read this summer in a number of posts. So the posts are not uber long, I've decided to split them up.  This week, I'm sharing my thoughts on the books I've read during the library programs! Next time I'll share audiobooks, then book, books, etc.

Today it's all about the library...pretty much my favorite place.  I am probably on my local library's website at least once a day.  I always request the books I am looking for and am notified via text when they are available for pick-up!  More than once, I've had to bring a tote bag with me to pick up my books! #sorrynotsorry

I mentioed that I joined the library's advanced readers club.  This is really cool.  The library puts out books at the beginning of each month and members can choose a book they would like to read, in exchange for a short, honest review after reading.  The books are free of charge and can be kept.

My first book I read for the ARC (and the first book I read this summer) was called Reading with Patrick. Being a teacher, I chose this book from the June list. Reading with Patrick was published on July 11th.  I finished it before the publishing date. It's a good timeline for me, as I always hope to get through the book before the publication date.  The book is a memior by Michelle Kuo, a young girl who completes a Teach for America stint in the Delta.  Here's my review of the book, submitted to the library:

"As a teacher and librarian myself, I was drawn to this book. And after reading it, am so happy that a book like this exists! Every teacher says that if they can have an impact on just one student in their career...for author Michelle Kuo, Patrick was that student. This memoir tells of their journey together over many years....from the classroom to prison. I loved this book form start to finish. I was engrossed in these people and rooting for them. I was astonished at Patrick's growth throughout the story- his drive and determination, in circumstances where others would just give up! But Miss Kuo was his guardian angel! I loved reading passages from books as they read together and even received quite the history lesson on the Delta! Highly recommend!!"


The ARC book I chose for July....I'll be honest...I didn't enjoy!!  Actually the more I think about it, I can freely say, I hated it.    I rated it two stars, and even I think that was generous!  The Marriage Pact  bt Michaelle Richmond was so unrealistic!!  But maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea.  Others seem to enjoy it.  It got an average of 4 stars on Goodreads!

Here's my review:

"This novel is a total work of fiction. The plot is so unbelievable and over the top! Yet, the narrator and his wife are likable people and it's a interesting look at marriage. It was a page-turner, but I'm not sure it's because I enjoyed the book or just wanted to get it finished. I didn't mind the end and how the story was wrapped up! It was just ok... "


I was able to get two books for August, one of which I am currently reading and think I am going to enjoy, Perfectly Undone.  I will let you know what I think soon!!

Another library program I've been attending is called Novel Brews. the group used to meet at a local coffee shop (hence the name!) but now meets at one of my favorite places in town to chat and discuss the books. I've known about this program for awhile,. but never thought to attend, because the book picks were not anything I thought I was interested in reading.  But after reading the newsletter in early June, I saw that the books for the summer months were actually ones that I had.  So I signed up to attend.

June's pick was I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh.  I kinda loved this book!  It centers around the death of a child, which is difficult, but is very well done!  It was a page-turner, and I didn't see that twist coming!!  Find out more about it here!

July's pick was A Man Called Ove which I've had sitting on my shelf since the inception of The Blended Blog's Virtual Book Club back in February!  It was Lana's pick!  And I can say without any question, that this book was my favorite of the whole summer!!  I laughed, I cried, I rooted for Ove and the rest of these characters!!  LOVED! LOVED! LOVED!!  Also, it should be noted that I listened to this book on audio while reading along with it! I enjoyed that...it helped me recognize the Swedish pronunciations!!  (Ove is pronounced ooohhhh-vaaa).

August's Novel Brews pick was Mrs. Houdini by Victoria Kelly.  A different sort of book than I am used to, but I think that's why I'm loving things like this and the TBB Book Club...because I am getting exposed to books I wouldn't ordinarily choose for myself!  This was not my favorite, but I did end up liking it.  I liked the twist in it, but during the discussion, found out, that THAT was a completely fictional part!  Bummer!  I did find it interesting to learn more about Harry Houdini and Bess though!

On tap for September is The Woman in Cabin 10.  Another TBB Book Club pick!  I've heard good things about it.  And want to get it read, because once school starts, I know things will be crazy!!

What have you been reading this summer?  I'd love to hear about it in the comments below!  And if you're on Good Reads, feel free to follow me here!!

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you got to read so many books! Love it. I need to jump on that book listening train!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love Ove!!! such a great book and character

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to post comments! They make me smile so big!