Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Currently Reading....


It's Tuesday!!  One more day closer to the weekend!  HA!

I used to be that person who couldn't read more than one book at a time.  This summer, I found out that indeed I can!  I read a lot this summer.  Summer is the only time I can really just read and read and read.  Once back to school hits, I read less. Or so I thought.


Today I'm sharing the books I'm currently reading!  Because there are actually quite a few!!

I said that I don't really read during the school year, but since it just began, I am.  Partly to finish up books I started while I was on vacation and partly because our principal assigned us a book to read!  HA!  And I am reading a book for book club too!  So I guess I'm starting the year off with a bang!





The book that I am reading and will hopefully finish for book club by next week is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.  I never read it in high school (and honestly, I'm a bit shocked it was ever even assigned to anyone is high school!).  I was really excited when I found out this was the September pick because I'm a big fan of the series on Hulu.  If this was not the pick, I'd most likely had taken this month off!  Wish me luck!









A book that my principal gave us as a sort of back to school gift/school book club read is FOCUS by Mike Schmoker. And in all honesty, I'm liking it a lot.  I'm not too, too far into it because I'm not sure what he's going to do with it with us, but it's all about scaling back and actually teaching less things, just "the essentials", with a more positive impact. I'm on board!



I'm getting more and more into the audio books these days as well.  I found myself up in the middle of the night a crazy amount this summer. So while I was awake  I'd listen to audio books.  When I found myself getting sleepy, I'd bookmark that that part of the book and set the sleep timer on my Libby app. Right now I'm listening to the YA novel, The Cheerleaders by Kara Thomas. I like it a lot.  It's a mystery thriller. I always go into reading YA with the intentions that I can add the book to our school's library.  It's so hard to get the 7th and 8th graders to actually want to take out books.  This is NOT one that I can add, but I'm definitely enjoying it.








And last but not least I'm sharing a new daily devotional. If you've followed the blog for awhile, you may remember that I wrote a post with my best friend, Melanie about the qualities of a best friend after reading Nobody's Cuter than You by Melanie Shankle.  Last week she posted a photo on Instagram of Melanie's new book Everyday Holy and her 100 Day reading challenge. After reading my Mel's thoughts on the book I bought it and was about to catch up this weekend.  It is so good you guys!!  As a religion teacher, there are so many get points and nuggets of wisdom that I can share with my students.  After having to catch up, I'm sad now that I only read one day at a time!



Whew...this seems like  a lot all at once!  But I'm totally doing it!  

What books are you reading now?  I'm always looking for recommendations.  
Let me know!

Have a great Tuesday!  Hug your loved ones this September 11th and send a little prayer up for all those we lost on that day!

Read about the time my sister and I visited the World Trade Center here!

And calling all fashionistas!!  Tomorrow on The Blended Blog it's all about the CAMO!!  Link up your camo lovin' with us or share your look across your socials and ours.


Do you have a closet full of clothes and yet think you can't find anything to wear?  Or maybe your just looking for engagement and encouragement of a diverse group of woman who are all in the same boat!  If so, join our Facebook group!  Check it out here!

7 comments:

  1. I've never read The Handmaid's Tale but feel like I should before I even entertain the idea of watching the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl I know what you mean about not getting to read as much during the school year! It's so busy! I LOVE the series of The Handmaid's Tale - I can't imagine anyone in high school reading it - wow! I keep hearing about Melanie Shankle's book, I need to just get it already, lol!!!
    xo,
    Kellyann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right after I right this I am buying FOCUS! I am totally all about this and even though I provide PD for teachers, I am all about balancing our time and the students time on the right types of things so they can get deep rather than skimming the surface on everything. Have to read it! Question, is the Cheerleader book inappropriate? I have a 6th grader, my daughter, that might be interested in it so just asking.

    bosbodaciousblog.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you want to read Focus!! Can't wait to hear what you think! I'm doing a lot of starring and underlining! As far as The Cheerleaders goes, I'd definitely say high school age it's pretty dark! Has she read the Lara Jean series? Still high school but much "cleaner"...just so cute!!

      Delete
  4. I've heard so many good things about Melanie's new book. I'm going to have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have The Cheerleaders on my list! The Handmaid's Tale is so thought provoking and the show takes it to a whole new level. Obsessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am slowly savoring The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu after reading the book. I tried watching it while I ironed but in a split second that I looked down at my ironing board, I could miss a smirk or a whispered dialog that was the whole episode was based on. Now I give it my undivided attention. Love Mel's book, too. Looking forward to the book club selecting our 5th book to read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to post comments! They make me smile so big!