Thursday, February 23, 2017

Throwing it back to Happy Heart Day!

This February I've been using Throwback Thursday to highlight some posts that I've loved!  Today's post, Happy Heart Day definitely fits the bill.  During Summer 2015, my family and I celebrated the 10 years since my Dad's heart surgery. It was a fun day celebrating, reminiscing, and thanking God for the all the years we've had together!
Happy Heart Day Dad!


Yesterday I posted all about my Saturday at the Kenny Chesney concert.  It being so long and detailed, I HAD to split my weekend recap into two.  And Sunday was so fun anyway, it deserves it's own post.

Sunday was dubbed HAPPY HEART DAY in our family!  

Ten years ago this month, my dad had triple bypass surgery.  It was really a crazy time.  He went to the doctor on a Friday not ever expecting to not come home again for more than two weeks!  He thought at the most that day he would need a stint.  But the doctors admitted him immediately and a quadruple bypass was scheduled for that Monday.  When they went in, they found he needed a triple.  Apparently dad had had a heart attack without even knowing it, a few weeks before.  Now he spends his days exercising, eating better, and consuming more pills than is probably normal...but hey, if it's keeps him with us...it works!!

So, because in our family we celebrate everything, on Sunday we celebrated Dad's 10 years of better health and clear arteries!  My sister Tara thought this up on the day of our Cousins Reunion party last weekend. {Something I never got around to posting a weekend recap about!  Maybe a Sunday Funday that was a little too much fun was to blame!!} Everyone thought it was a great idea.  My family is always up for a party.


We arrived at Tara's around 1:30 on Sunday for a day of sun, fun, and swimming.  The weather was beautiful and everyone had a blast.  The pool area was decorated with heart balloons.  All the food was heart healthy. The dessert was a little less healthy but it was heart-shaped and the cheat of the day! We talked a little bit about that time 10 years ago, too! Mostly the fact that half of dad's grandkids didn't exist yet.


Some more  pictures of the fun!!

Pool Fun!

The cake mom made!

The chaos that is dessert with 9 kids!!



I'm not really sure why no one wore red but for some reason every single one of us showed up in coral.  Even Dad.  This sadly is not the first time this has happened, with this exact same color! Maybe we're just an "on trend" family!  HA!


Mom doesn't like to be left out!
The Original Six



And the award for best picture of the summer goes to....
Perfect shot with the water gun!!
Only Mom is unphased by this!!  Everything is always fabulous in Linda-Land!!

I just love my family!  We said numerous times that day that you just don't know what will happen from one day to the next, so you have to be grateful each day you are given on this earth. So we are. And we know that not everyone is as lucky as our dad when it comes to hearts!!  

Dad thoroughly enjoyed being the center of attention on Sunday!  And hopes we can celebrate him again in another 10 years!!

_____________________________________________________________________

Happy Heart Day Dad first appeared on the blog on Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Thanks for stopping by today and reminiscing with me! Have a great day!!

3 comments:

  1. Glad that your Dad is healthy and the surgery worked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from a family that celebrates everything I totally loved when you & your family celebrated your dad with Happy Heart Day! As a daddy's girl myself, I am so SO glad that your dad is doing well! My dad has had health issues in the past and nearly died of pancreatitis a little over a decade ago. This weekend he's celebrating his 60th birthday and I've been doing a lot of thinking about how thankful I am to have him here! Needless to say, I'm in happy tears for both of us at the moment that we each have our awesome dads! I love how much your family means to you, Katie! *Hugs!*

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny, Linda-Land, so awesome that you family celebrates everything, I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to post comments! They make me smile so big!