Saturday, September 26, 2015

A Saturday Special Edition

So I pretty much haven't blogged in over a week.  I had a fairly busy week and when I thought about posting, I didn't think anything I was going to write was too pressing that it couldn't wait!  So instead, I indulged in premiere week and wine!

But today I'm back!  If you have been reading the blog for a while or follow me on Instagram, you know that I enjoy supporting causes, Both monetarily and fashionably. {Check out Dressed for a Cause here!} So when I was asked to support a cause through blogging, I jumped at it.

Today is Mesothelioma Awareness Day. It's a day dedicated to spreading awareness about this deadly but preventable form of cancer that is caused by the spread of airborne asbestos fibers. Years ago no one knew how deadly asbestos was when it was being used at construction sites in numerous consumer products.  About 3000 people each year are diagnosed with mesothelioma.  Asbestos is now banned on 60 countries, but NOT yet in the United States and Canada!!


A few facts about Mesothelioma: 



Those who are most at risk include veterans, tradesmen, and industrial workers, and their families.  Today I am supporting Mesothelioma day in honor of  Heather Von St. James.  Heather was exposed to asbestos as a young girl by wearing her father's work jacket to do outside chores.


Heather is a mom and fellow blogger, who was diagnosed with mesothelioma 9 years ago.  At that time she was given only 15 months to live if she did not have any treatment. But with the help of a surgery that involved a heated chemo solution and the removal of her left lung, she is now a SURVIVOR...almost 10 years strong!  Heather now works to spread awareness with her husband Cameron and the Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance.

 I'll aslo be rocking the color blue today!  Won't you consider it too??

Katie

*Thanks Cameron for reaching out!*

2 comments:

  1. so scary that the dangers of asbestos weren't discovered for so long. Great to hear such an inspiring survival story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cause. My brother's father-in-law died of this disease many years ago. Thanks for spreading awareness!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to post comments! They make me smile so big!