Friday, June 26, 2015

My Summer Reading List

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO  SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!!!  Yesterday was my official LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!

I am so looking forward to SUMMER!!  I don't have much planned in way of a vacation but do have a few fun things in the works.  Last year's summer concerts totaled 7, This year I'm just going to two.  Tim McGraw who I saw earlier this month, and the main event, Kenny Chesney, (MY FAVE!!) in August!! I also have family coming for a visit and may or may not do a Road Trip or Staycation with my bestie, like I mentioned here!

With the rest of my time, I really hope to read.  Last summer I hardly read at all!!  I was sad about it too, because I remember in years past when I could read two books in a week!  So I WILL READ this summer!

Ever since my blogging buddies and I linked up a few months ago to share our favorite books, I have about two dozen books on my "must read" list, but I've set a goal to read 6 books this summer .  I believe this is pretty realistic. And if I can read more, great!!   Today we're linking up again, this time to share our Summer Reading Lists with you today!!

On the top of my list are books that I already have and have been sitting on my shelf just waiting to be read.  But there are also a few I purchased with Gift Cards!




I bought Big Little Lies by Laine Moriarty when it was on super sale at Amazon,  I had hoped to bring it to Florida with me.  Instead I brought Girl on the Train.  It was lighter!! ;)  So this is the first one I'm going to start.  I really loved the Husband's Secret and have heard great things about this one as well.

A while back I signed up for Blogging for Books, a website that sends bloggers complimentary books to read and review on their blogs.  Read my first review here.  I got my second book, before the end of last year. It's Neil Patrick Harris' book.  It's written like a Choose a Your Own Adventure, so that's what drew me to it!  But it's on my kindle so I have yet to read it.  I want to get through it because I know it'll be funny (I've always liked him!) and I want to start getting more books to review regularly.  So be on the lookout for my review of it at some point this summer!

When we linked up and shared, one of the books I reviewed as my favorite was The Pact by Jodi Picoult, the only one by her I've ever read.  It was one of Sarah's faves too, and many of the comments told me I had to read more from her.  So I just got Nineteen Minutes!  I realize it's a super heavy subject...not my typical summer beachy, chick-lit read...but I thought I'd give it a try!
Another one on Sarah's list that others had read too, was The Wednesday Letters.  Sounds like a great read...and a tearjerker!!  It's on my list!

Wild is another one on my list.  A number of people over the last few months have been telling me I have to read it.   It's not my typical read, but I'm excited about it. I hear it's a slow start but gets really good.  And that the author's writing is wonderful.  If I can get through the slow start that was The Girl on the Train, I can get through anything!  HA!!

Two books I am adding to my list I just received this week.  I guess It's now a tradition that our end of the year gift at work is a book.  We got one last year (which I never read...guess I should add it to this list!) and again this week.  This year's book, I'll read!  It's called Leaping and it's a collection of essays.  So I can read one or a few and walk away from it!  I can also be reading another book while I read this one.

And the last book on my list, a work friend gave me to put in the school library.  She received it free as a Scholastic Red Apple Teacher.  It's an advanced reader's copy of a YA novel called The Blackthorn Key.  It's not available until September. It looks like a really interesting mystery!

I'm really excited to check out what the other ladies are reading this summer, because I got a few gift cards as end of the year gifts, and want to use their lists to help me pick out a few more good reads!  Head on over to all the blogs and add to your summer reading list as well!


An InLinkz Link-up


Have a great weekend!!
Katie

19 comments:

  1. 19 Minutes is soooo good! One of my all time favorites! Sounds like a fantastic summer!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost hate to admit this here publicly but here goes...I have started Girl on a Train and can't get into it. I just downloaded the sample onto my Nook but haven't committed to buying it because it does seem like a slow start. Everyone else in the world is raving about it except for Shaunacey, who wants to read it but hasn't yet. Did you finish Girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie...I felt the same way!! took me forever to finish it! And in the end I thought I was just OK...but others have raved about it! So I say read it...just for the fact I want to hear what you think!

      Delete
  3. Wild was SO GOOD!! I loved it and hope you do too! I liked it better than the movie, and that's saying a lot because I love Reese Witherspoon. I just like being privy to her thoughts throughout the book.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's what I hear about the movie, too! I like Reese but probably won't see the movie. Can't wait to start the book!

      Delete
  4. I have to get back on that Blogging for BOoks...I remember checking it out when you first talked about it and then forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been debating whether or not to read 19 Minutes - I can't decide if it would be helpful or just too close to home. I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about it. And I have go get that Neil Patrick Harris book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm super excited to read all the reviews of these books so I can make a whole other list!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got my first Blogging for Books book and I'm really excited about the whole process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, Blogging for Books is perfect for you! Can't wait to read your reviews!!

      Delete
  8. Nineteen Minutes was SUCH a good book. It is definitely a heavy subject but you see it in a different light. I'm reading my second Jodi Picoult book that has taken me too long to read but I'm going to have to add The Pact to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nineteen Minutes looks good and I think I should put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those looks like some awesome reads! YAY YAY for the last day of school! Enjoy your summer, girl!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I highly recommend reading the book The Girl on the Train: A Novel.
    I just finished reading it today, and I think its a very interesting book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to post comments! They make me smile so big!